Fall indicates the return of the hustle and bustle as kids go back to school. From school buses and bicycles to cars, pedestrians and strollers, you must remain diligently focused on the road as a driver.
Whether you’re an experienced driver or a newer one, all drivers can benefit from some driving safety tips—in addition to information on readying your vehicle for the colder days ahead.
Driving Safety Tips
Driving safety is paramount, especially with increased activity on and around the roads. These are a few helpful tips to keep in mind when you leave your garage.
- Crosswalks are for pedestrians and children on bicycles, not for stopping or blocking the pathway with your vehicle.
- Watch for crossing guards and follow their instructions on whether it’s safe to proceed or to stop.
- You must stop your vehicle if a school bus has its flashing lights on.
- Schools mean a lot more traffic, including children on bikes. Be careful since many bicyclists—especially younger ones—ignore vehicles and assume you’ll watch out for them.
- Keep your eyes on the road—not on phone calls and texts. Put your phone away while driving, or if you must answer your phone, pull over to a safe place to do so.
Good vehicle upkeep is essential, especially as cooler weather may make the roads more hazardous. These are some helpful reminders before you get on the road.
- Ensure your brakes are working and all your vehicle’s fluids are full.
- Check your headlights to make sure they’re functioning.
- Always keep your gas tank full.
- Ensure your wiper blades work—especially in bad weather.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car.
- Regularly check your tire pressure, as cooler weather tends to cause a decrease in tire pressure.
Review Your Insurance Coverage
If you’re a student away at school, your auto insurance needs may differ from when you were at home. Talk with your insurance agent to ensure your coverage is up-to-date. If you need additional coverage, this is an ideal time to talk with us about updating your auto insurance policy.
Minnesotans often face extreme driving conditions, including snowy roads and ice. Zachman Insurance in St. Michael, Minnesota, can ensure you have financial protection when you get behind the wheel for accidents and other vehicle damage—regardless of road conditions. Call 763-497-2430 to speak with us about your auto coverage.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.